How Long do Points & Traffic Tickets Stay on your License in NY
How long do points stay on my license? This is the number one question a traffic lawyer is asked. The answer is 18 months from the date that you received the ticket. However, although points are a very important factor to consider when you receive a traffic ticket, the more important issue is that if you plead guilty or are found guilty of a traffic violation, that violation remains on your license for a minimum of 3 years and, in some cases, up to 4 years from the date of your conviction or plea. Moving violations on your driving record is the number one factor upon which your insurance company bases your insurance premium. As such, it is crucial that you make sure to keep all moving violations off of your record. An experienced traffic lawyer is the best person to help you keep your license clean.
How Long Do Points Stay on My License
The Driver Violation Point System is how the New York State DMV identifies and penalizes high risk drivers. The DMV assigns a different amount of points to each moving violation based upon its severity. Please feel free to visit our Point Chart to view the different traffic violations and their points.
How long do Points stay on your License in New York?
Points stay on your license for 18 months from the date of the moving violation.
Why Do Points Matter?
There are two main reasons why drivers should avoid points added to their license in New York State:
- Driver Responsibility Assessment: A driver convicted of six or more points worth of traffic tickets is charged this penalty over an above any fine the court assesses. The assessment is $300 for the first six points plus $75 per point over six. This can add hundreds of dollars to the total cost of a single ticket.
- License suspension: Drivers who reach 11 points on their license can have it suspended by the New York DMV. Driving with a suspended license is a crime and can result in jail time. Please feel fee to visit our Aggravated Unlicensed Operation Blog.
Defensive Driving Courses
A defensive driving course can be completed which will remove up to 4 points from your record, however, the moving violation remains on your record for your insurance company and employers to see.
You can complete a defensive driving course in person or online. Most courses cost approximately $25. To find several options, please visit the DMV defensive driving course page.
How Long do Traffic Tickets Stay on my License
Moving violations are traffic offenses that are committed while your vehicle is in motion. Most moving violations are infractions, but some traffic charges are punishable as misdemeanors or felonies.
Common moving violation infractions include:
- Disobeying a traffic control device
- Following Too Closely (tailgating)
- Failing to Yield the Right of Way
- Disobeying a red light or stop sign
- Failure to signal
- Improper use of a cell phone or electronic device
- Unlicensed operation
Common moving violations that are misdemeanors include:
- Alcohol-related offenses
- Aggravated unlicensed operation
- Reckless driving
- Leaving the scene of an accident
How Long Does a Traffic Ticket Stay on your Driving Record in New York?
Most traffic ticket convictions and accidents are displayed on your driving record until the end of the year in which the conviction or accident occurred plus an additional 3 years. As such, if you are convicted (or plead guilty) to a traffic violation in the beginning of a year, the violation can remain on your license for close to 4 years!
What happens if you don’t Fight your Traffic Ticket in New York?
- Points are added to your driving record for the conviction of most moving violations
- Insurance premiums often increase after the conviction of a moving violation
- Your license is revoked if you are convicted of 3 speeding violations within an 18-month period
- Fines are assessed which often increase if you You will incur fines which in many cases increase if you receive multiple tickets of the same kind
- Loss of employment opportunities if your current or potential employment requires that you drive
You Need the Best Traffic Lawyer to Protect your License
When you receive a traffic ticket in New York, it is important that you take all steps possible to have the violation reduced or dismissed in order to avoid all of the above negative consequences.
At Veltry Law, PC, we have been defending motorists for over 30 years and have the experience and skill to fight your traffic ticket in order to protect both your license and your driving record. With our Money-Back Guarantee you can rest assured that you are in good hands. Feel free to Send us a Message and we will contact you immediately or Call Us 24/7 for a FREE informative consultation.
Great topic. Your article is a great help to all drivers of NY. Thank you for giving us knowledge. Great post!
I am glad you found it helpful!
I am so glad you found it helpful!